BIM / Revit Surveys
With the growing adoption of Building Information Modelling (BIM) by the construction and property sectors, quality measured survey data – BIM Surveys – is integral for your project and we have seen a steady increase in demand for the delivery of measured surveys in a 3D Revit format. An accurate 3D model is essential for your BIM Surveys project for each stage, from the design through to construction, managing and running the building and finally de-commissioning.
The services we can offer:
- 3D Revit models for buildings, encompassing plans, elevations and sections.
- 3D topographical surveys showing ground terrain, surface features and services.
- Pointcloud data files delivered in your chosen format.
- TruView files, using pointcloud data with panoramic photography through a viewable web plug-in.
The advantages of using 3D survey models over traditional 2D CAD drawings are well documented, with fundamental differences including that the Revit model is a complete 3D replica of your building or site and all elements within the model contain intelligent data, instead of just 2D linework.
We would normally use 3D laser scanning to capture all of the features of your site, with the registered pointcloud file being used to create the Revit model.
Together with the building we can provide a topographical survey of our site, showing all features and ground surface in a Revit model. This can also include surrounding building facades for site context purposes and rights of light analysis.
Client input at the survey specification stage is vital to make sure that the required features are included within the Revit model at the correct level of detail. If you would like to discuss a current project or would like further information, please contact us.
- We will work with you to tailor a specification and proposal that suits your requirements. Depending on the size and type of your project we can provide the information important to you.
- Using modern technology we will provide you with the most cost effective solution, delivering your information quickly.
- Using only experienced land surveyors you can be confident that our topographical surveys are drawn to the highest standard.
- With our extensive survey experience our surveyors will provide additional information that may be vital to your successful project, such as neighbouring building heights.
- Survey drawings are supplied in various 2D and 3D CAD formats and paper copies can be provided.
- Should you require a topographical survey to support a BIM project we can provide you with a 3D surface model solution in Revit format.
- Additional services that we are able to offer to support your project include measured building surveys, utility surveys and CCTV drainage surveys.
For a fast response quotation use the ‘contact us’ facility and provide us with as much information as you can. When specifying the survey area it is important to provide us with a clearly marked site plan.
Frequently asked questions:
What is the BIM ready Revit survey model?
A 3D Revit survey model is a measured survey of existing building or areas of land presented as a 3D model in Revit format. Typically the level of detail included in the model is similar to a traditional 2D measured building survey, although all elements are in 3D and therefore much easier to work with, visualize and understand.
All structural elements are shown in a survey model, such as walls, floors, roofs, stairs, columns and beams, together with doors, windows and sanitary fittings. Other elements such as additional services can be included, but this will depend on your requirements. The level of detail of a survey model can range from basic, for massing and rights of light, to highly detailed including all architectural features.
What is included in a Revit topo-surface?
A 3D topo-surface model can be provided in Revit format, which can be provided as a basic topo-surface created from an imported 3D CAD survey file, through to a fully detailed topo-surface. Again this is dependent on your requirements and can include all surface finishes, kers, walls, fences, service covers, street furniture, hedges and trees. Buildings can be included showing all details of their external envelope or more simply, as basic masses. Underground utility surveys can also be included within the survey model.
How do I obtain a quotation for a Revit survey?
It is important to provide us with as much information as you can, including plans, outlining your requirements for the survey. Ideally a detailed specification is advisable and will provide confidence that we are delivering exactly what you want. The level of detail should be set out, whether a basic model is sufficient or more detail is needed. It may be that some areas of a project require a lot of detail while other areas can be delivered to a basic level. If you would like to discuss the specification for a project or require any help, please contact us.